I have a newbie baker confession: I’m intimidated when using butter with any recipes.
Others may argue that experienced bakers can eyeball ingredient measurements, but since I’m still basically a beginner, I’d like to approach it as an exact science (naks!) and measure everything to a T. And precisely measuring butter intimidates the hell out of me, lol. (but seriously, am I the only one on this??)
So when the kids asked if I can bake them their favorite chocolate chip cookies, I searched online for a butter-less recipe and after tweaking one a bit, here is the finished product – very easy to make, chewy, yummy cookies that immediately got swiped off the cooling rack.
And since sharing is caring, here’s the modified (and simplified) recipe that you and your kiddos can try at home.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable/coconut/canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven at 350F/175C. (I’m using a turbo broiler and just adjusted the temperature a bit)
- In a bowl, combine your flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, cream together your oil, brown sugar and white sugar.
- Beat in the eggs (one at a time), then add in the vanilla essence.
- Combine your dry ingredients to your oil-sugar-egg-vanilla mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let them cool on the pan before moving them to a wire rack.
TIP: Chill your dough for at least 30 minutes (the longer in the chiller, the better) for more flavorful cookies.
Very easy to make right? I’ve been making these in batches for my kid’s baon and meryenda. And yes, I’ll admit it, for my midnight snacking perfect with a glass of milk.
Will probably try stepping out of my comfort zone soon and add butter to the recipe but in any case, if you find yourself craving for cookies but you ran out of butter in your pantry, this recipe just might be something you can try.
Do you have any other recipes you can share with me? I’d like to try it so please comment it down below.